The Department of Urology at the University Hospital Zurich offers comprehensive diagnosis and treatment options for patients with urological diseases in one of the largest and most important training hospitals in Europe.
The diagnosis, therapy and aftercare of prostate carcinomas are of particular importance. The Prostate Cancer Center, certified by the German certification body OnkoZert, is an interdisciplinary center. It is under the joint management of the Department of Urology and the Department of Radiation Therapy of the University Hospital Zurich. In the Prostate Cancer Center, patients are cared for holistically by a network of specialists in medical and nursing fields.To the center
In addition to providing medical services to the population, the Clinic for Urology fulfills a teaching assignment for the University of Zurich and conducts research in the field of basic research as well as clinically oriented research. Research activities range from urological oncology on prostate and bladder cancer, tissue engineering and erectile rehabilitation to neurourology.
The Clinic for Urology is certified by the European Board of U rology (EBU) as a training center and by the Swiss Medical Association (FMH) as an A-clinic for the full FMH further training to become a specialist in urology.
|2021||Prof. Daniel Eberli, MD, will be appointed Director of the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Zurich on August 1.|
|2012||The Department of Urology at the University Hospital Zurich celebrates its 50th anniversary|
|2009||Opening of the Prostate Cancer Center together with the Department of Radiation Oncology of the University Hospital Zurich. It is the first certified center for prostate cancer in Switzerland.|
|2006||Prof. Tullio Sulser, MD, will be appointed full professor and director of the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Zurich on April 1.
|2005||Prof. Dieter Hauri, MD, becomes emeritus professor. During his tenure, focused anatomical and physiological research promotes the development of replacement bladders and male impotence.|
|2002||With the Da Vinci robot, robot-assisted, laparoscopic surgery makes its way into the Department of Urology. This is continuously improved through research.|
|1999||First conventional laparoscopic radical prostatectomy at the Department of Urology, University Hospital Zurich|
|1983||Prof. Dr. med. Dieter Hauri is appointed full professor of urology and succeeds Prof. Dr. med. Georges Mayor.
|1978||Move to the north wing of the University Hospital Zurich, where the Clinic for Urology is still located today.|
|1974||Foundation of the European Society of Urology – Prof. Georges Mayor, MD, founding member, acts as Quaestor.|
|1973||Prof. Georges Mayor, MD, is elected Vice President of the International Society of Urology, founded in 1919.|
|1970||Prof. Georges Mayor, MD, is appointed full professor and thus assumes the first full professorship in urology in Switzerland. The clinic at that time had only one hall with eight beds and four double rooms for men. The four rooms reserved for women were located in the surgical ward.|
|1962||Prof. Dr. med. Georges Mayor becomes associate professor of the newly founded “Urological University Clinic”.
|1945||Foundation of the Swiss Society of Urology with the aim of establishing urology as an independent discipline.|