- Vascular tumors
- Various venous diseases
- Compression syndromes
Career and Education
Prof. Zimmermann studied medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University, the University of North Carolina and the Technical University Munich until 2000. He completed his clinical training at the University Hospital rechts der Isar Munich (Department of Surgery, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery) and at the BG Trauma Center Murnau. In 2008, he was recognized as a specialist in the field of vascular surgery and since then has worked as a senior consultant at the Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Technical University Munich, Germany.
He subsequently acquired the additional qualifications as a phlebologist, European specialist in vascular surgery (FEBVS), specialist endovascular surgeon, medical quality management, as well as a Master in Health Business Administration (MHBA).
In 2012, he was appointed Managing Senior Consultant. In 2015, Senior Consultant in Charge and subsequently Vice Director of the Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Technical University Munich. This position included the management of the Munich Aortic Centre.
In April 2019, he was appointed Chair of Vascular Surgery at the University of Zurich and Medical Director of the newly created Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Zurich Switzerland.
- Swiss Society of Vascular Surgery (SGG)
- Swiss College of Surgeons
Scholarship of German Society of Surgery (BDC)
- German Society of Surgery (DGCH)
- German Society for Vascular Surgery and Vascular Medicine
- European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS)
- German Society for Mountain and Expedition Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- Clinical research: aorta, including all endovascular therapies (including the aortic arch). Participation in international multicenter studies.
- Imaging: Vascular imaging as a focus of interdisciplinary collaboration with radiology: imaging of spinal perfusion in thoracic-abdominal aortic aneurysm, Endoleak detection. Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) perfusion imaging.
- Health services research: evaluation of health insurance and quality assurance data.
- Vascular biology: Establishment of a biobank with tissue and serum samples of common vascular surgical marker diseases (PAD, aortic aneurysm, carotid stenosis).